|Mechanics of Composite Materials
|Abbreviation: MKM Z||Load: 30(L)
|Lecturers in charge: ||doc. dr. sc. Darko Ivančević
prof. dr. sc. Ivica Smojver
|Lecturers: ||doc. dr. sc. Darko Ivančević
|Course description: Course objectives:
Familiarization with basic expressions and methods used in stress analysis of composite structures.
Enrolment requirements and required entry competences for the course:
Attendance at lectures; attendance at exercises; successful and regular passing of partial exams; student assignment;
Grading and evaluation of student work over the course of instruction and at a final exam:
70% written partial exams during the semester; 30% independent work on the student assignment
Methods of monitoring quality that ensure acquisition of exit competences:
assessment of the gained knowledge through the partial exams; assessment of the ability of independent work through the student assignment;
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to (learning outcomes):
Solving of problems related to the definition of the basic mechanical behaviour and failure processes of nonisotropic laminated materials
Application of advanced methods used in the strength analysis and the structural behaviour due to increased temperature and moisture.
Assessment of the available analytical methodology which is used in the field of mechanical analysis of composite structures.
Development of the ability for critical analysis of the mechanical behaviour of composite structures and the correct validation of the results obtained using the analytical methodology
1. Mechanical properties of fiber and matrix. Classification of composites. Types of reinforcement. Nomenclature.
2. Fundamental equations of micromechanics. Rule of mixtures. HalpinTsai equations. Expressions based on theory of elasticity.
3. Fundamental equations of macromechanics. Derivation of elasticity tensor symmetry.
4. Elasticity matrix of an anisotropic, orthotropic, isotropic, transversaly isotropic material.
5. Transformation of mechanics properties at main material axes rotation.
6. Constitutive equation of composite materials. Derivation of A,B,D matrices.
7. Analysis of symmetric, antisymmetric and other layering setups.
8. Stresses and strains in layered composites.
9. Thermal properties of composite phases. Thermal stresses in composites. Influence of manufacturing.
10. Failure criteria. Maximum stress criterion. Maximum strain criterion. TsaiWu criterion. TsaiHill criterion. Special failure criteria Hashin"s criterion.
11. Firstply failure and lastply failure criteria.
12. Damage in composites. Fiber breakage. Matrix cracking. Pull out. Delaminations.
13. Joints in composite structures.
14. Specifics of finite element analysis of composite structures.
15. Examples of composite structures ships, airplanes, helicopter structural elements
1. Relation between elastic constants of an isotropic material; physical meaning and numerical value of Poisson"s ratio.
2. Computation of mechanical properties using rule of mixtures.
3. Computation of elasticity and stiffness matrix of an isotropic material
4. Computation of elasticity and stiffness matrix of an orthotropic and transversaly isotropic material.
5. Computation of elasticity and stiffness matrix of an orthotropic and transversaly isotropic material continuation.
6. Computation of altered mechanical properties at rotation of main material axes.
7. Computation of A,B,D matrices for symmetric and antisymmetric layering setup.
8. Computation of A,B,D matrices for symmetric and antisymmetric layering setup continuation.
9. Computation of stress and strain distribution in laminate.
10. Computation of stress and strain distribution in laminate continuation.
11. Computation of thermal stresses in laminate due to autoclave manufacturing.
12. Computation of thermal stresses in laminate due to autoclave manufacturing continuation.
13. Estimation of laminate failure using maximum stress criterion.
14. Estimation of laminate failure using TsaiWu criterion and comparison with results by maximum stress criterion.
15. Application of firstply and lastply failure criteria a critical review.
|Lecture languages: en, hr
|1. ||Jones, R.M.: Mechanics of Composite Materials, Taylor and Francis, 1999.
|2. ||Hyer, M. W.: Stress Analysis of Fiber Reinforced Composite Materials, McGraw - Hill, Boston, 1998.
|3. ||Tsai, S. W.: Theory of Composites Design, Think Composites, Dayton, 1993.
|4. ||Niu, M.C.Y., Composite Airframe Structures, Conmilt Press, 1992.
|5. ||Middleton, D. H.: Composite Materials in Aircraft Structures, Longman Scientific & Technical, Harlow, 1990.