|Abbreviation: GRIJANJE||Load: 60(L)
|Lecturers in charge: ||prof. dr. sc. Igor Balen
doc. dr. sc. Darko Smoljan
|Lecturers: ||doc. dr. sc. Darko Smoljan
doc. dr. sc. Tea Žakula
|Course description: Course objectives:
Education of mechanical engineering students (thermal engineering) in the field of heating technology and heating systems design. A wide range of topics are dealt with in lectures and seminar format.
Enrolment requirements and required entry competences for the course:
Regular admission to the 6th semester of the study of mechanical engineering with appropriate number of the ECTS. Completed attendace to lectures in Thermodynamics 1, Thermodynamics 2, Fluid mechanics 1, Fluid mechanics 2.
Attendance to lectures and excercises. Correct calculation of assignments in excercises.
Grading and evaluation of student work over the course of instruction and at a final exam:
Written exam 60%, oral exam 40%.
Methods of monitoring quality that ensure acquisition of exit competences:
Selfevaluation of the course and applied teaching methods.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to (learning outcomes):
determine thermal comfort criteria according to a building use
calculate design heat losses
calculate pressure drop in onepipe and twopipe distribution
select heat source, circulating pump, heat emission elements, distribution piping (flow/return)
calculate and select safety and expansion equipment
create heating system as a functional whole
recommend control system and hydraulic balance solution
calculate and select system for heating of domestic hot water
select renewable energy source (solar thermal system, heat pump)
draw solution in adequate drawings and schematics.
1. Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer. Energy utilization in buildings. Thermal comfort.
2. Heating load in buildings. Transmission and ventilation heat losses.
3. Classification of heating systems. Natural and forced circulation systems. Distribution of heating medium.
4. Hydronic systems. Heating devices characteristics and classification. Heating panels.
5. Boilers for central heating systems characteristics and classification. System elements and valves for water and steam boilers.
6. Pipe design. Friction and local flow resistances. Pressure drop in piping.
7. Onepipe and twopipe hydronic heating systems characteristics and design. Piping setup.
8. Pumps in hydronic systems. Operating point. Pump selection criteria.
9. Boiler rooms. Regulations. Equipment. Automatic control of heating systems.
10. Domestic hot water heating. Direct and accumulation systems.
11. Fuelburning equipment. Fuel types in heating systems. Fuel supply and connections. Fuel consumption.
12. Expansion and security equipment. Open and closed systems. Chimneys. Venting.
13. Chemical and thermal water treatment. Steam heating systems characteristics.
14. District heating. Plants. Hotwater and steam systems. Users" connections direct, indirect.
15. Renewable energy in heating systems. Solar thermal applications, heat pumps characteristics and classification.
1. Heat exchange calculations for different building elements. Selection of thermal comfort factors.
2. Calculations of design heat losses for rooms and buildings according to EN12831.
3. Calculations of annual heating demand according to EN ISO 13790.
4. Calculations of heating capacity for different heating devices according to EN442. Sizing of heating devices.
5. Calculations of heating capacity of boilers. Boiler selection principles.
6. Pressure drop calculations for hydronic systems. Pipe sizing principles.
7. Calculations and pipe sizing for onepipe and twopipe systems. Sizing of heating devices for onepipe systems.
8. Calculations and sizing of pumps in hydronic systems. Pump selection principles.
9. Study visit to a factory of heating devices.
10. Calculations and sizing of domestic water heating systems. Examples of residential and nonresidential applications.
11. Calculations of hourly and annual fuel consumption by degreeday method.
12. Calculations and sizing of closed expansion tanks.
13. Calculations and sizing of chimneys according to EN 133841, 2.
14. Study visit to a boiler room and district heating plant.
15. Calculations and sizing of solar thermal systems. Study visit to a solar thermal installation site.
|1. ||Recknagel, Sprenger: Taschenbuch fuer Heizung- und Klimatechnik, Oldenbourg Verlag, Muenchen;
|2. ||ASHRAE: Handbook of Fundamentals, ASHRAE, Atlanta;
|3. ||Burkhardt: Projektierung von Warmwasser-Heizungen, Oldenbourg Verlag, Muenchen
|4. ||Strelec: Plinarski priručnik, Energetika Marketing, Zagreb
|5. ||Babiak, Olesen, Petraš: Low temperature heating and high temperature cooling - Guidebook Nr 7, REHVA, Brussels