|Abbreviation: KLIMA||Load: 60(L)
|Lecturers in charge: ||prof. dr. sc. Igor Balen
doc. dr. sc. Tea Žakula
|Lecturers: ||doc. dr. sc. Darko Smoljan
doc. dr. sc. Tea Žakula
|Course description: Course objectives:
Education of mechanical engineering students (thermal engineering) in the field of HVAC technology and HVAC systems design. A wide range of topics are dealt with in lectures and seminar format.
Enrolment requirements and required entry competences for the course:
Regular admission to the 7th semester of the study of mechanical engineering with appropriate number of the ECTS. Completed attendace to lectures in Thermodynamics 1, Thermodynamics 2, Fluid mechanics 1, Fluid mechanics 2.
Regular attendance to lectures and excercises. Correct calculation of assignments in excercises.
Grading and evaluation of student work over the course of instruction and at a final exam:
Written exam 50%, oral exam 50%.
Methods of monitoring quality that ensure acquisition of exit competences:
Selfevaluation of the course and applied teaching methods.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to (learning outcomes):
calculate design cooling load for summer season
calculate pressure drop in air ducts
select heat/cooling source, circulating fan, air terminal elements, ducts
create airconditioning system as a functional whole
calculate and select air cooled condenser and cooling tower
recommend microprocessor control and perform procedures of hydraulic balance
determine performance and selection criteria for cogeneration and trigeneration plant
calculate and select airtoair heat recovery system
perform basic acoustic calculation and selection of a silencer
draw solution in adequate drawings and schematics.
1. Basics of ventilation. Natural and forced ventilation. Ventilation systems.
2. Dehumidification systems and drying processes.
3. Comfort criteria and selection of parameters.
4. Heat balance analysis for a building in winter and summer season.
5. Airconditioning systems. Analysis and application.
6. Lowvelocity HVAC systems.
7. Basics of heating and cooling systems in buildings.
8. Highvelocity HVAC systems.
9. Split systems with constant and variable refrigerant flow characteristics and design.
10. Chillers. Application in HVAC systems.
11. Cooling towers characteristics and application.
12. Cogeneration and trigeneration systems. Application in HVAC systems.
13. Airtoair energy recovery. Heat and mass transfer equations.
14. Fundamentals of acoustical design. Fire and smoke management.
15. DDC automatic control. Application in HVAC systems.
1. Calculations of air flow in forced ventilation systems.
2. Analysis and calculation of evaporation processes. Equipment capacity estimation.
3. Calculations of heat losses and heat gains for a building.
4. Calculations of heat losses and heat gains for a building.
5. Estimation of technical characteristics and selection of HVAC system components.
6. Estimation of technical characteristics and selection of HVAC system components.
7. Sizing of elements of central airhandling units.
8. Calculations and sizing of humidifiers.
9. Airdiffusion elements. Application and selection.
10. Duct design. Calculations of friction and local pressure drops.
11. Application and selection of filters.
12. Characteristics and selections of pumps and fans.
13. Sound calculations and selection of silencers.
14. Sound calculations and selection of silencers.
15. Procedures of selection of automatic control elements.
|1. ||Recknagel, Sprenger: Taschenbuch fuer Heizung- und Klimatechnik, Oldenbourg Verlag, Muenchen;
|2. ||ASHRAE: Handbook of Fundamentals, ASHRAE, Atlanta;
|3. ||ASHRAE: Handbook of HVAC Systems and Equipment, ASHRAE, Atlanta;
|4. ||ASHRAE: Handbook of HVAC Applications, ASHRAE, Atlanta;
|5. ||McQuinston, Parker, Spitler: Heating, Ventilating and Air-conditioning - Analysis and Design, Wiley and Sons, New York
|6. ||Bošnjaković: Nauka o toplini II. dio, Tehnička knjiga, Zagreb;
|7. ||Donjerković: Osnove i regulacija sustava grijanja, ventilacije i klimatizacije, I. i II. dio, Alfa, Zagreb;
|8. ||Galaso: Određivanje toplinskog opterećenja prostorije, FSB, Zagreb
|9. ||Reinmuth: Raumlufttechnik, Vogel Verlag, Wuertzburg