|Quantitative Research Methods
|Abbreviation: SOCDO316||Load: 30(L)
|Lecturers in charge: ||doc. dr. sc. Dario Pavić
|Lecturers: ||doc. dr. sc. Dario Pavić
|Course description: Course description
e-learning level 1
english level 1
Upon sucessfully passed exam students will be able to
Apply the advanced statistical terms and information.
Design a research project.
Organize the implementation of a research project.
Use the computer software for the analyses of quantitative data.
Outline causal relationships between the social phenomena.
Develop the research question on the subject process phenomena of social interest.
Choose the adequate methodological approach or the combination of approaches in investigation of the social phenomena.
Evaluate published sociological research with suggestions of possible improvements.
Write a comprehensive research report in the appropriate disciplinary style and discourse.
1. Explain the logic and phases of quantitative social research
2. define preliminary design of survey and other quantitative research
3. plan and design procedures for the implementation of qualitative research
4. practice fieldwork and analyses of data and interpret results, write report
5. analyze metrical characteristics of the conducted research and critically evaluate its advantages and shortcommings
1. Lecture Characteristics of quantitative research methods; survey
Excercise Selection of survey topic
2. Lecture Introduction to survey method
Excercise Development of research design
3. Lecture Questionnaire
Excercise Planning and conductiong of orientation research
4. Lecture Questionnaire
5. Lecture Sample
Excercise Creating questionnaire
6. Lecture Sample
Excercise Pilot research, finishing questionnaire
7. Lecture Survey techniques
Excercise Planning the sample
8. Lecture Survey techniques
Excercise Operationalization of the sample
9. Lecture Survey techniques
Excercise Preparing conduction of the fieldwork
10. Lecture Data analyses planning, data presentation, report construction
Exercise Data analyses, data presentation
11. Lecture Measurment characteristics of survey, errors and biases
Excersise Making report on survey results
12. Lecture Content analysis
Excercise Selection of content analysis topic; making of research design, preliminary analyses
13. Lecture Analytical matrix
Excercise Designing analytical matrix
14. Lecture Sample in content analysis
Excercise Sampling, analyzing
15. Lecture Analysis of redundancy, making report
Excercise Data analyses, reporting on results
Oral and written exam, obligatory class attendance, written assignment.
|1. ||Lamza-Posavec, V. (2010), Kvantitativne metode istraživanja (skripta), Zagreb: Hrvatski studiji, str. 1-115.;
|2. ||Lamza-Posavec, V. (2004), Metode društvenih istraživanja (Skripta), Zagreb: Hrvatski studiji, str. 71-172.;
|3. ||Fowler, F. J. (1993), Survey Research Methods, Newbury Park: Sage Publications, str. 1-148.;
|4. ||Babbie, E. (2002), The practice of social research, Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing Company, str. 159-199, 233-262, 267-289.;
|5. ||Schutt, R. K. (1996), Investigating the Social World, The Proces and Practice of Research, Thousand Oaks: Pine Forge Press, Sage Publications Company, str. 3-305.;
|Recommended literature: - - -