|Abbreviation: B24A01||Load: 30(L)
|Lecturers in charge: ||prof. dr. sc. Stanislav Frangeš
|Lecturers: || Igor Birin
doc. dr. sc. Vesna Poslončec Petrić
izv. prof. dr. sc. Robert Župan
The acquisition of basic knowledge of cartography, its development and methods of producing maps, cartographic visualization and generalization with an emphasis on achieving the ability to distinguish objects viewed at different cartographic representations and the application of the elements of cartography in order to develop simple maps and map related representations.
Learning outcomes at the level of the programme to which the course contributes
- Understand the role of geodesy, geoinformatics and spatial data in modern world, demonstrate competences in measuring systems, methods and technologies of measurement and spatial data collection.
- Demonstrate competences in theoretical principles, procedures of computing and visualising the surveying data.
- Make plans, maps and related presentations using modern methods and technologies on the basis of measured data and other sources.
- Determine and interpret the size, properties and relations of objects in space on the basis of measured data, spatial databases, plans and maps.
- Exercise appropriate judgements on the basis of performed calculation processing and interpretation of data obtained by means of surveying and its results.
- Prepare official public documents, reports, graphic and cartographic presentations using the surveying results related to objects in space.
Learning outcomes expected at the level of the course
- Explain cartography and its tasks, the development of cartography and cartography division,
- Allocate objects display and object names (toponyms) on different representations,
- Compare the types of cartographic distinction between their properties, elements, scale, size, etc.,
- Set aside the originals for development of cartographic representations,
- Explain the map graphics and use elements of cartography,
- Explain the cartographic generalization, factors and basic procedures of cartographic generalization,
- Create a cartographic representation of the implementation of all procedures necessary for its development,
- Create a set of data (metadata) required for use of cartographic representation,
- Recommend the use of methods and ways of maintaining cartographic representations,
- Compare the modern official and unofficial map products in the Republic of Croatia.
Course content broken down in detail by weekly class schedule (syllabus)
Lectures (per 2-hour lectures):
- Introductory lecture and valuation rules of students through the semester.
- Second Cartography and its tasks. The definition of cartography. Divisions of cartography. Periods and epochs of the development of cartography.
- During the preparation of cartographic representation.
- Facilities display. The division of objects displaying. Object names - toponyms.
- Types of cartographic representations. Map and its properties. Components of the map. Map sizes. Basics on topographic maps. Basics of thematic maps. Maps like graphic presentations. Atlases. Reliefs and relief maps. Modern maps of Croatia.
- Mid term exam 1
- Sources for the production of cartographic representation.
- General Symbols Systems. The map graphics. Map Symbols. Minimum size. Properties and formatting characters. The basic geometric and graphic elements. Signature. The divisions signature. Size and scale of signatures. Diagrams. The divisions diagrams. Graphic variables. Wisetone. Colour. Letter. Cartographic visualization.
- Fundamentals of cartographic generalization. Factors affecting the generalization. The methods of cartographic generalization.
- Mid term exam 2
- Development of cartographic representation. The influence of hardware on map reproduction. The impact of software on map reproduction. Screens and screening in digital cartography. Press Office procedures.
- Dataset for the use of various cartographic presentations.
- Determination requirements for update.
- Mid term exam 3
- Repeated and makeup exam
Exercises (for the tasks within the project):
- Making mental maps (2 hours)
- Exercise 1 - Creating a selected cartographic symbols and their variation through different scales (8 hours)
- Exercise 2 - Creating authoring original maps to the overall external description (8 hours)
- Exercise 3 - Creating a default simple thematic maps 12 hours)
Screening student work
- Class attendance - 0.5 ECTS
- Tests - 1.5 ECTS
- Oral exam - 1.0 ECTS
- Written exam - 1.0 ECTS
- Project - 1.0 ECTS
|1. ||Frangeš, S.: Opća kartografija. rukopis predavanja, www.geof.hr/kartogra/opca%20kartografija.pdf
|2. ||Lovrić, P.: Opća kartografija. Sveučilište u Zagrebu 1988.
|3. ||Robinson, A.H., Morrison, J.L., Muehrcke, P.C., Kimerling, a.J., Guptill, S.C.: Elements of Cartography. New York, J. Wiley and Sons 1995.
|4. ||Hake, G., Grünreich, D., Meng, L.: Kartographie - Visualisirung raum-zeitlicher Informationen. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 2002.